MAFF Market Forum 2016
The 2nd edition of MAFF Market Forum toke place on October 1-3, 2016 at Radison Blu in Malmo. Production screening held at cinema Speglen.
2016 is the second year of the festival’s film industry initiative MAFF Market Forum (MMF) – the world’s first industry platform for co-production and collaboration between the Arab world and Scandinavia.
Consisted of the two funding initiatives MAFF Development Funding and Doc Post Production Platform.
MAFF Development Funding:
MAFF Development Funding is a pitch competition where projects are pitched in front of a jury, experts, and other audiences for the opportunity to win monetary development support. MAFF Development Funding was in 2016 for short films, documentaries and feature films. Three projects pitch was in the documentary category and five in the feature- and short films.
MAFF Development Funding was created with the aim to support feature films (feature films) and short films (fiction, documentary, animation, hybrid) in the development phase. Qualifications to search was that the film was either a planned co-production between a Swedish producer and one Arab producers, or the movie theme concerned the issue of Arab identity, culture or exile. A basic requirement for the application, however, was that there is a Swedish producer linked to the project.
Finally, 13 projects were invited to pitch their film to a jury in the MMF.
- “In the Land of Wonder” – Director: Nadine Khan, Producer: Film Clinic / Anagram
- “Disruptive Servant” – Director: Amal Al-Agroobi, Producer: Alagroobi Films / Solid Entertainment
- “Birds of Paradise” – Director: Mohamed Al-Daradji, Producer: Human Film / Laika Film & Television
- “200 meters” – Director: Ameen Nayfeh, Producer: Odeh Films / Way Creave
- “Parched” – Director: Suha Arraf, Producer: Suha Arraf / Momento Films
- “Chopped” – Regissör: Karam Ali, Producer: Idioms Film / HB PeÅ Holmquist Film
- “IBNI” – Regissör: Lafi Abood, Producer: Analog Productions / Fikra AB
- “The History of Belly-dancing” – Regissör: Kamal Abdelaziz, Producer: Film Clinic / Laika Film & Television
- “The Barber” – Director: Melanie Aronson Producent: L&M Björkman Productions AB
- “The Gold Chain” – Director: Abbe Hassan, Producer: Indian Summer Films
- “Barakat” – Director: Nmanon Nammour / Nicolas Khabbaz, Producer: Khabbaz Films / Chantale Hannouch
- “If Toys Can Speak” – Director: Maria Abd El Karim, Producer: Chantale Hannouch
- “Wanderings” – Director: Rola Shamas, Producer: KlaraFilms
Doc Post-Production Platform:
Doc Post Production Platform is a project and an initiative that aimes to help Arab documentary film maker to compile their films by offering postproduction prices as grading, sound mixing and distribution. The project has been established with the intention to support and encourage Arab documentary filmmakers to finalize their feature documentary projects and promote it at an international forum, and to interact with Nordic producers and film professionals.
- “Off Kharthoum Sides”– Director: Marwa Zein, Producer: Marwa Zein
- “As I Want” – Director: Samaher Alqadi, Producer: Karim El Hakim
- “Ibrahim” – Director: Lina Alabed, Producer: Rami Nihawi
- “On the Fence” – Director: Nesrrine Elzayat, Producer: Hala Loy
- “Tiny Souls” – Director: Dina Naser, Producer: Khaled Haddad
MAFF Market Forum 2016