MAFF Market Forum announces its Fund Winners
Malmo – 8 October 2019
MAFF Market Forum, the industry arm of Malmo Arab Film Festival, announced today the winners of its fund, with a total awards sum of more than 110.000 USD, for which 22 Arab projects competed. The winners are as follow:
- Short films in development phase
- Film Centrum award with SEK 30,000 editing services to “HABIB & THE THIEF”, Arab Swedish producer and director: Naures Sager, country: Sweden.
- Luxor African Film Festival award with 2000 USD to “REPRESSION”, Arab producer: Abed Lotfi, director: Mike Malajalian, country: Lebanon.
- Film I Skane with SEK 30,000 to “A RESUME”, Arab Swedish producer and director: Bassem Nabhan, country: Sweden.
Jury: Butheina Kazim (Emirati programmer, researcher and producer), Johan Simonsson (Film commissioner at FilmCentrum Syd) and Mahmoud Kamel (Egyptian director).
- Feature Documentaries in development phase
- Swedish Film Institute award with SEK 75,000 to “LOOKING FOR SAADA”, Arab producer: Rashid Masharawi, Swedish producer: Linda Mutawi, director: Areen Omari, country: Palestine.
Jury: Sherif El Bendary (Egyptian director), Khemais Khayati (Tunisian critic) and Irit Neidhart (German distributor).
- Feature fiction films in development phase
- Swedish Film Institute award with SEK 150,000 to “THE SEA NEEDS TO HEAVE”, Arab producer: Alaa Alasad, Swedish producer: Helene Granqvist, director: Zain Duraie, country: Jordan.
Jury: Mercedes Fernandez (Managing director of Torino Film Lab), Gabriel Khoury (Egyptian producer) and Lamia Guiga (Tunisian critic and cinema professor).
- Feature documentaries in post-production phases:
- Team One Productions award with USD 2,000 Sound design, mixing and editing to “CAPTAINS OF ZA’ATARI”, producers: Dina Emam & Aya Dowara, director: Ali El-Arabi, country: Jordan, Egypt.
- The General Union of Arab Artists award with USD 2,000 to “SUSPENDED WIVES”, producer: Karim Aitouna, director: Mariam Addou, country: Morocco.
- Imaginarium award with USD 3,000 to “THEIR ALGERIA”, producer: Marie Balducchi, director: Lina Soualem, country: Algeria, France.
Jury: Asma Grimiche (Moroccan producer), Ziad Khuzai (Iraqi critic), Insaf Ouhiba (Tunisian researcher and cinema professor) and Rasmus Steen (Responsible for the Documentary Film programme of International Media Support).
- Feature fiction films in post-production phase:
- Red Star award with USD 3,000 to “MICA”, producer: Lamia Chraibi, director: Ismael Ferroukhi, country: Morocco, France.
- Team One Productions award with USD 3,000 to “FOR THE CAUSE”, producers: Hassan Benjelloun and Rachida Saadi, director: Hassan Benjelloun, country: Morocco.
- The Cell Post Production award with USD 10,000 Editing Service to “MICA”, producer: Lamia Chraibi, director: Ismael Ferroukhi, country: Morocco, France.
- The Cell Post Production award with USD 10,000 Color Grading to “MICA”, producer: Lamia Chraibi, director: Ismael Ferroukhi, country: Morocco, France.
- Elgouna Film Festival award with USD 5,000 to “BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE”, producer: Mohammed Ali ben Hamra, director: Majdi Lakhdar, country: Tunisia.
- Leyth Production award with USD 12,000 Sound mixing for 15 days to “STATE OF AGITATION”, producers: Elie Khalife, Nicolas Khabbaz, and Mahmoud Karak, director: Elie Khalife, country: Lebanon.
- MAD Solutions award with USD 20,000 Distribution and Marketing to “THE WOMEN IN BLOCK J”, producer: Rachida Saadi, director: Mohammed Nadif, country: Morocco.
Jury: Magdi Ahmed Ali (Egyptian filmmaker), Khalil Demmoun (Moroccan critic), Nadim Jarjoura (Lebanese critic) and Meriame Deghedi (Egyptian arts and culture marketing professional).